Downloading the DS-2019 information: free of charge!
Processing fee of the DS-2019 application: Euro 60,- (or US$ 70)
Issuing the DS-2019 form:
- US$ 700 for internships/trainings 1-3 month of duration
- US$ 750 for internships/trainings 4-6 month of duration
- US$ 950 for internships/trainings 7-12 month of duration
- US$ 1.150 for trainings over 12 months of duration
Note: These are only the costs to issue the DS-2019 form which is absolutely required for the J-1 visa application. Later on the applicant has to pay the SEVIS fee of US$ 180,- to the Department of State and the J-1 visa fee (approx. another US$ 140,-) to the US consulate.
Please do not confuse the issue of the DS-2019 form with granting the J-1 visa! These are two different procedures of different authorities.
Overview of the total costs to obtain the J-1 visa:
- Processing fee of the DS-2019 application: Euro 60 to Interswop.
- Issuing the DS-2019 form: US$ 700/950/1.150 to the visa sponsor in the USA.
- SEVIS-fee: US$ 180 to the Department of State.
- J-1 visa fee: approx. US$ 140 to the US consulate in your home country.
- Visa appointment with the US consulate in your home country mainly by call centers liable to pay costs.
- Travel expenses for the personal visa appointment at the US consulate in your home country or jurisdiction.
Total costs/sum: US$ 1.100 - 1.500 (Euro 850-1.150)
Do I have a chance to avoid these expensive visa costs?Hardly if you really need to attend an internship/training in the US.
But the advantage of the J-1 visa is that also PAID internships/training are allowed. It depends on your negotiation skills if your US host company will not cover some of the DS-2019 form costs or maybe will pay you some remuneration. Also don´t forget that maybe all of the visa costs could be set off against tax liability.
Could I save all the visa hassle and enter the US with a tourist visa?No! This is not allowed and totally illegal. To attend an internship or training in the USA -paid or unpaid does not matter- is only allowed with a corresponding valid J-1 visa.
PAID INTERNSHIP PROGRAMWhy are you not applying for a PAID internship in the USA in order to reduce the costs of your stay to almost zero?
We found out that most self-arranged internships in the USA are UNPAID internships. That means you pay high visa costs, the flight and all the living expenses to stay in the USA.
Suggesting US$ 1.000 for the flight + US$ 1.000 to obtain the visa and another US$ 1.000 of living expenses per month during your stay in the USA you will spend about:
US$ 8.000 for a 6 months internship in the USA
US$ 14.000 for a 12 months internship in the USA
That might be a good career investment. But isn´t it better to obtain a similar or even better internship opportunity in the US for almost free???
We are offering PAID internship and training positions in the USA!
You will earn between 800 - 1.500 US$ per month!
The average obtained wage is about 1.200 US$ per month!
Basic program prerequisites are:
- only for high qualified and highly motivated participants
- you must be 21 - 35 years old
- you must be eligible to obtain the DS-2019 form and J-1 visa
- internship/training areas: marketing, finance, controlling, accounting, management, logistics, hotel management, travel management, civil engineering, architecture, information tecnology, computer sciences, programming, engineering, the sciences, media
- you must apply at least 6 months before planned begin of stay
The placement fees for a paid internship/training are about:
Euro 1.950,- (US$ 2.300) for 6 - 12 months paid internship
Euro 2.950,- (US$ 3.500) for 13 - 18 months paid training
If you are interested in the paid internship/training program please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org referring "Paid Internship Program in the USA".
First your eligibility and the fulfillment of all requirements will be checked by phone. If your application for the paid internship program is accepted a placement contract will be signed and you have to pay half of the placement fees in advance.
The placement process begins and an adequate paid internship will be organised. In most cases interviews by phone are necessary. After the final acceptance of a prospective host company you will receive all information about the company, the location and your remuneration.